From our 'writers' in action...

Saturday, 8 July 2017

Seeing the world through a different lens, by Shannon Thompson


I've always been the type of person who, on reading or hearing someone else's work, would be amazed that they could express an idea so eloquently. I'd wonder if the reason they could do this was that they saw the world through a different lens than other people.

I was given the chance to grow up with my best friend and I was in awe of how he seemed to be overflowing with musical ability. Even when we were very young, he had an amazing ability to find words and notes that made the world around us seem changed; slower; more beautiful than before; the music, ideas and words simply flowing from him. Now, as an adult, I wonder if he was seeing and hearing everything differently to me: growing up side by side but always seeing two different shades of the same colour; hearing two different tunes in the same melody.

Immersing myself in a four day writers’ festival isn’t something that I would normally do, not from lack of interest but more from a lack of opportunity: my university and work schedule are always so busy that they tend to keep me bound to a rigid routine. But as the Mildura Writers Festival approaches, I can honestly say that I feel excited at the opportunity for someone else to share their outlook with me and help me to see the world as they do.

But most of all, I’m looking forward to my weekend being out of the ordinary—perhaps even extraordinary

No comments:

Post a Comment